Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Happy New Year 2012 - New Year's Intentions


This morning, I've been sitting at my computer (will do some yoga right after this to counteract the computer slump and clicking wrist ache!). Reading through lots of blogs, checking friends on FB/Twitter and reading local & world news and seeing themes emerge about the New Year.

Lately it's been bothering me how we all rush to make those BIG New Year's Resolutions... Lose Weight, Stop Smoking, Make More Money, Get Rid Of Stress.

In the last few months, I've been setting small intentions for practice and thought the idea of setting New Year's Intentions was probably a better alternative, for me at least. Not that I have been big on resolutions ANYway... too easy to forget! But I guess I have always understood that it takes more that making a resolution. Change, real lasting personal change, takes time. Takes INTENTION. Takes thought... understanding that just saying: " I will lose weight or workout more or get rid of stress" does not address the underlying issues. What makes us eat that puts on weight, what makes us stressed etc? How can we reduce stress? Maybe we just need to learn to accept that some stress is a part of life. Just learn to sit with it for a bit.

Also a part of setting intentions, whatever they are, is reminding ourselves each and every day. Reaffirming those intentions. Accepting that some days those intentions will get no further than stating them. And knowing that some days we will live those intentions and feel the powerful happiness that comes with having lived those intentions.

At the beginning of class I often ask students to set an intention... maybe just a feeling, a word or a dedication of that day's practice to someone who needs their love. A New Year's Intention can be the same. An intention to be more grateful, more loving, or to take a moment every day to think of someone else. Perhaps to feel lightness or to walk around with open eyes or open heart. I saw a great video on FaceBook today that I'd like to share here... it is so simple and profound.




Also wanted to share this blog posting of the Yinsights newsletter that I read. It addresses how resolutions are Yang and the Yin is learning to accept. Read and let me know what you think, if you like! The Yinside of New Year's Resolutions

Here is an excerpt that stood out to me:

"This year, why not resolve to accept something about yourself that you will no longer try to change or improve! You may even decide that this is the year that you accept something about someone else and vow to no longer try to change him or her! Sure, go ahead and consciously make a yang resolution to do or not do something, but why not add a yin resolution this New Year's? What are you going to accept, allow and no longer try to change this year?"

Hmmmm. Makes you think!

SO Happy New Year 2012... live every day as if it were your first and your last!

And Namaste


1 comment: