Thursday, March 31, 2011

What I'm Reading Now: Yoga Journal - Emotions in Motion

Hooooo Boy, we are living in some very stress-full times these past few... months? Years? Not just me, not just the US but the world as a whole. There is a media storm coming at us every day and we are inundated with information 24/7. At times it feels as though it is all so darned OVERWHELMING.

So is it any wonder then that this sometimes comes out in our yoga practice? When we are coming into still-ness... settling into being in the present moment? I have to admit that when it first happened to me, quite a few years ago, I was stunned. All of a sudden, in Savasana I started crying. Not sure what the "straw that broke the camel's back" actually was: maybe the music, maybe the pratice itself, maybe something my wonderful teacher said... but the waterworks started. And flowed. And flowed. After class I dabbed my eyes and raced out.

And I was confused... previously I had only experienced the expansiveness in my practice: the heart opening, the bursting of energy & happiness, the lightness of being. So this was new. And uncomfortable. And made me want to flee.

But I didn't; I stayed with it. I am happy that I did. Shortly after that, my teacher (I SWORE she was a mind-reader, still think she is) talked about emotions in class... How they can seem to come at you suddenly and powerfully. But as we gain confidence in our practice, in ourselves, we learn to sit with it and to know that there is a reason for everything. Our bodies are our reality check, they tell us whether - we like it or not - when something is wrong. Or right.

SO click on the Yoga Journal link below and read what came into my e-mailbox this week: Yoga Journal - Yoga Asana Columns - Emotions in Motion

Namaste, honour your emotions this week,

and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment